I tried out a new recipe from Pinterest, it’s a modified version to make it gluten free. My picture isn’t the greatest…
I had to improvise a little since I only had a pound of ground pork. It came out kinda too squishy to make meatballs, so I made it in a loaf pan (like meatloaf) and when it was done cooking just drained the fat and spooned bits into the gravy.
It called originally for garlic salt, but it was a liiiiiiittle too salty for me. (So just use garlic powder or fresh garlic).
I was impatient for the spaghetti squash so I tried it on the left over quinoa…wasn’t a winner…BUT it was D-LISH over spaghetti squash!
So here it goes for you comfort food junkies!
Meatballs & Gravy
1-1/4 pound lean ground pork
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Serve over roasted Spaghetti Squash (with olive oil, salt & pepper)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place a rack on a baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix ground pork, egg, cooked/drained quinoa, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Form into 40 meatballs, about 1 level tablespoon each. Place on prepared rack over baking sheet.
3. Bake meatballs at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally or until lightly browned. Add cornstarch to beef broth until the cornstarch is completely incorporated into the liquid. Gradually stir in beef broth in skillet. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the nutmeg.
5. Add meatballs to the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over roasted Spaghetti Squash (with olive oil, salt & pepper).