I have been craving tacos lately and someone brought mexi food into the office for me to be tortured by. So I tried to think of the quickest tacos possible….with little effort…no red meat.
I decided on super green shredded chicken tacos. 😀
They are super green cuz I didn’t want to buy red anything…too expensive! (Ahem red bell peppers…why do you have to cost so much?!?) And the other super is a super food, bok choy. Ya, I’m weird…I dare you to try it! It’s not bitter, it’s just right and loaded with good vitamins. 😉
So here’s how I did it…
• 1 lb. chicken breast
• 1 cup chicken broth or stock
• 1 serving of taco seasoning (my recipe below…store bought packets are glutenous)
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 small bell pepper, chopped (splurge on red if you like, they are $6.99/lb here right now).
• 1 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 can of corn or fresh/frozen…going for quick here though.
• 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
• Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne.
• 1 Tbs Grape seed oil
• Guac & salsa (sour fream if you like, but soy cream is GROSS, I call it “Freme” cuz it’s Fake Cream…Freme)
• Taco shells or Udi’s has an AWESOME “flour” tortilla out now. Sooo yummy, make sure you heat it or it will break.
• “Cheese” I use Lisanatti brand Almond cheese in jalapaño flavor, but you have to cook the cheese with the shells or it won’t melt. I’m not a big fan of Dayia.
I use my pressure cooker to make the chicken. (Ain’t nobody got time to wait for chicken to cook after a long day of work!)
Put the broth in pot, add taco seasoning, salt and pepper (I totally eyeballed this so do how much you like) Dip the chicken in so it coats both sides. Lock the lid and set timer to 15 min after the rocker starts a rockin.
Cut up onions, and smash your garlic. Add them to a stainless steel sauté pan (a big one because we will be adding lots of ingredients later) with some grape seed oil and the black beans.
The stainless steel caramelizes the onion awesome. Teflon, not so much. The grape seed oil I like using more than olive oil cuz it can handle high heat better.
When onions are closer to done add the bell peppers, corn (if it was frozen thaw it, if its canned, drain it) and spices (Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne). Again I eyeballed this. Make them all grilled looking and delisioso.
Then…rinse and chop green parts of bok choy, pat dry. Shred “cheese”.
By now your chicken should be done.
CAREFULLY take your pressure cooker to the sink and pour cold water over the lid until the needle goes down (I have an antique PC so I don’t know about the digital kind all I know is that if that knobby thing falls of between stove and sink its not gonna be perty).
Take out the chickens, shred with two forks, add it back to the liquid, then drain.
Then assemble tacos! I’m sure you all know how to do that part. 😉
I used the New Seasons guac because I didn’t want to add another step and it was good!
So after this quick meal that took about a million words to describe, here’s the GF taco seasoning…(also do a search for my GF “Hidden Valley Ranch” and “Lipton’s Onion Soup” recipe dupes. You will save yourself some money…and it’s super easy!)
Gf Taco Seasoning
• 4 tbsp. ground cumin
• 2 1/2 tsp. paprika
• 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 2 tsp. onion powder
• 2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. black pepper
• 2 tsp. chili powder
Blend all spices in a bowl and use to season any taco meat you are cooking.
*I THINK this is the equivalent of one packet? I don’t remember, I make a big batch so I don’t have to think about it when I need it.
This recipe makes about 12-14 tacos.
Sharing is caring! 😀